Friday, May 25, 2012

What I Read.


Yep.  It seems my goal of reading 10 books this year is within reach.  I said to Andrew a while back that I don't have time to read, and the only thing he would say was, "Yes, you do."  And I do!  I can't sit down and read for an entire afternoon, which is frustrating at times, but I'm getting good at knocking books out one chapter at a time.  

Here's what I thought: 

I'm still in the middle of Boundaries With Kids, but it's very helpful.  Reading Boundaries gave me a lot of insight into my own personality and actions.  It also made clear some skills I want my kids to develop sooner rather than later.  

I skimmed parts of The Organic Lawn Care Manual that didn't really apply to me, but it had a ton of good information.  Big Ideas for Small Gardens was more of a picture book with captions and small articles.  I don't remember getting any great ideas, but I did discover a climbing lilac vine that I'm hoping my mama can order for me from one of her garden catalogs.  Although I mocked the title when I saw it at the library, You Grow Girl was awesome!  I have a very helpful seed chart I found online that was put together by the author, Gayla Trail, so I went for it.  The book simplified some of the garden lingo and presented useful information in a straightforward way.  It also had some recipes for drying herbs for yummy teas and to use medicinally...teas for headaches, colds, etc. 

Recycled Spirituality breaks down some ancient traditions of the church and gives thoughts on how to apply them to our modern spiritual journey.  It's an easy but slow read because the author, Charles Bello, encourages the reader to read a chapter and then practice the discipline for a while and see what happens.  He also wrote a book called Prayer As a Place.  It's probably one of my favorite books about being friends with Jesus.

Mystically Wired  and Beautiful Outlaw were probably my favorite in the pile.  Ken Wilson is a pastor who took a year off to study science.  He brings together ideas from across a spectrum of ideas that often seem opposed and hostile.  Somewhat off subject, but this line in Nacho Libre cracks me up--they are faced with some huge, accomplished wrestlers, and Nacho tries to encourage his skeleton-esque friend.  Nacho: "But you're tall and fast like a gazelle, you can do it. Pray to the Lord for strength."  Scared out of his mind, Esqueleto says, "I don't believe in God, I believe in science."  Back on subject, here's one example of the stunning relationship between science and faith that I love.  There's a chemical in the brain that is present when a person acts compassionately.  And I'm sure you're familiar with the chemical present when a person is afraid.  Well, the chemical for compassion overpowers the chemical for fear.  The more compassionate you become, the less frightened.  I think it's beautiful.

And that brings me to Beautiful Outlaw by John Eldredge.  I guess it'll have to be my second favorite book about Jesus.  I love the way Eldredge writes anyway, so that's part of it.  But seriously, you should read it. It's an honest look at the Friend of all friends and some of his personality traits/characteristics that are often overlooked because they don't feel nice and cozy and religious.  As the chapters are named; his playfulness, fierce intention, extravagant generosity, disruptive honesty, cunning, humility, and trueness.  I was especially struck by Jesus's trueness.  

Eldredge says: 

"Whether it is born of fear or longing or uncertainty or cunning or wickedness, it is so natural for us to shape ourselves according to the moment we scarcely notice how much we do it.....Friends--surely you are aware that your personality has a motive behind it.....The most essential gift you have to give is yourself. When you aren't entirely true about that, you aren't true.  But we've all grown accustomed to committing dozens of little white lies about ourselves every day.  Except this man.  He is Faithful and he is True."

That wraps up my book report for the day.  I have a book to finish reading, after all.  And dinner to make.

As my bookmark leftover from second grade puts it, I'd rather eat a bug than do a drug.  Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Melinda. I love hearing about books my friends love. I might have to borrow the boundary book and the science one sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete