The baby is not much of a baby anymore. But she's still sweeter than sweet. And sassy beyond belief. She's a cuddler. She has made many unsuspecting people smile by snuggling up to them when they've picked her up. One such moment was at an old church reunion this summer. A man I've known all my life walked up and took her from me. About 40 minutes later, Andrew asked where she was. I pointed to this middle-aged, motorcyclist who was still snuggling our daughter. Andrew's response was hilarious: "Who's that?" Me: "He's perfectly safe, but I guess I could introduce you."
Alas, she also has a feisty, emotional streak that Ezra's never shown. She can be laughing and smiling, and in one breath begin screeching and throwing herself on the floor. In a fit of rage, she'll throw something, then pick it up to throw it again. Her big brother has clobbered her enough times that she knows how to get sympathy from almost anyone. (Unfortunately for her, Mom and Dad are harder to convince.) I am thankful that life with a brother has made her tough, and I'm waiting for the day when E comes running because N is beating up on him.
If I would let her, she would live on bread, yogurt and scrambled eggs. But I sometimes make her drink smoothies with fruits and veggies. She can smell ice cream or chocolate or cookies from a mile away, and you can bet she comes running. She made a bunch of ladies at a baby shower laugh when she plopped herself beneath a tree, spoon in hand, and started eating dirt.
Her vocabulary: ball, bubble, mamamamamamama, dad, milk, bee (which refers to the mini Cabbage Patch doll she got for her birthday.....dressed in a bee suit.....aptly named Baby Bee). She loves music, dancing and clapping.
One of the hardest parts of parenting for me right now is the feeling of going around in circles, accomplishing nothing. Of course, I know it's not true. My kids are growing and learning every day. That's just hard to see through the routine of preparing and serving a meal, then cleaning it up off of the floor ten minutes later. Repeat, repeat, repeat up to 5 times a day if you count snacks.
I've been practicing gratitude lately by naming things I'm thankful for. The best part of my day is usually around dawn. I make coffee and snuggle with the girl. She's an early riser, so about an hour later, E joins us. He always stumbles out of his room, dazed by the bright lights. But as soon as he catches his balance, he runs to me and I sweep him up in a big mama bear hug and we talk about his dreams. I treasure those moments because I know they won't last forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment