Monday, November 26, 2012

Delicious.


I have a fantastic recipe to share!  You'll be especially grateful if, like me, you grew butternut squash this summer and now have seven of them lined up on the counter.  I had a conversation with my sister-in-law about what to do with the bounty, and she suggested combining them with quinoa, that mysterious pseudo-grain/seed thing that doubles as a complete protein.

So off to the kitchen I went.  The results could not have been more delightful.

Here goes:

1 cup quinoa
1 cup butternut squash, cut into small chunks
1 large handful spinach, chopped
1/2 - 1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles

Steam butternut squash 5-10 minutes, until tender (but not mushy).  Alternatively, roast in the oven at 350 until desired tenderness is reached.  Rinse quinoa and combine with 1 cup water (or chicken broth for more flavor) in saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer approximately 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.  Combine all ingredients and serve.

Even my kids devoured it.

We ate it alongside some fresh mango and dark chocolate chips because that's what we do.  Dark chocolate.  Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment