Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentines and Dinner Plates




So, I created this blog (along with several others) this summer. Now it's February, and I'm determined to make it work. Here's the second post of all time.

A fabulous day: Today. It's raining. I have coffee, a sleeping baby, and no car. I've been craving a day like this. And I'm in the mood to write. Perhaps I could write about all of Ezra's new tricks. Sitting up, spitting food, rolling over, grabbing toys, his adorable laugh. Or maybe I could write about the SIX loads of laundry I did yesterday. Or yesterday's walk around our new neighborhood.

What I actually keep thinking about, though, is Valentine's Day. I've been hearing differing opinions lately. Some pleasant, some indifferent and some quite cynical.
According to some, Valentine's Day is nothing more than a consumer holiday with the unfair pressure to make romance happen. Okay, I can see that to an extent. In my research, I did find that 25% of all greeting cards are given on Valentine's Day and many stores designate an entire section to the color Red.

Valentine's Day originated as a pagan holiday called Lupercalia. An animal was slaughtered and young women slapped with pieces of its flesh to promote fertility. Gross. Pope Gelasius I apparently agreed and recast the festival as a Christian feast day. In Catholic history, there were at least three saints with the name St. Valentine. Myths surround each of these men, but according to one source, the most plausible story focuses not on Eros, but on Agape. St. Valentine (1 of the 3) was martyred for refusing to renounce his religion.

And in the 14th century, the holiday became "definitively associated with love." Chaucer wrote a poem linking a royal engagement, the mating of birds, and as was the custom, a feast Day--as it so happened, St. Valentine's Day. During the Middle Ages in England & France it was believed that half-way through the 2nd month, the birds began to pair.

"The Parliament of Foules"

For this was sent on Seynt Valentyne's Day
Whan every fowl cometh ther to choose his mate.

Other literary examples that link this day with writing love letters and sending lovers' tokens include the 34th & 35th Ballades of poet John Gower and the Paston Letters by Dame Elizabeth Brews. (see newadvent.org, Catholic Encyclopedia)

But I say, WHATEVER! Neither history nor mad consumerism sway my love for the holiday. Why not? Why not celebrate love? We celebrate anniversaries. Even birthdays are days to celebrate people we love.

The reasons I love Valentine's Day:
  • It's a random, anytime of the week holiday and nobody gets the day off.
  • My mom always had something special waiting for us on our dinner plates.
  • My dad brought home a single carnation for Mom, my sis, and me.
  • In grade school, you got to spend a week decorating the classroom, making mailboxes, and an afternoon distributing and opening Valentines. And in 2nd grade, the teacher made pancakes for her class!
  • It's an easy way to make your grandma smile.
  • Mmmm.....CANDY!
So, I plan on never losing my fondness for this day. And this year was no exception. Even though the weather foiled my picnic plans, my weekend was the simply the best! I just wanted to spend the day with my knight in shining armor, Andrew. We slept in a bit and did some grocery shopping. We tinkered with wall decorations and the new computer. We walked around Gardner Village, and Drew bought me another bracelet, handmade in Nepal. We shared a mocha in the Barnes & Noble cafe and read for a while. Back at home, we put the babe to bed early, made pizza, and watched a classic love story together. Roman Holiday with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. It was simple and perfect!

But wait....the weekend wasn't over.


Sunday after church, we went to my mom's for lunch. To my surprise, my sister-in-law created a masterpiece! While my mom was upstairs helping my brother cook the ribs and potatoes, Melissa was downstairs setting the table with rose petals and flowers. I had no idea, and my mom didn't either. It's been 2 1/2 years since my dad passed away, but I know some days still sting my mom's heart. She was beaming as she took in the sights and sounds of what she and my dad started 40 years ago. Her laughter and delight made me think of myself as a young girl, surprised at the small tokens of my parent's love sitting on my dinner plate on Valentine's Day.

Here's to celebrating love!




No comments:

Post a Comment